Hi, I have just purchased a GREAT, all original, 41,000 coupe which runs perfect and everything works!! Bought from the original owner. The only problem is the rear trans mount which bumps/bottoms under hard acceleration. Plus the drive shaft spins against the tunnel. I am getting ready to change the transmission fluid and filter and wondered if there is something better than the stock spring, cup, rubber ect. to replace while I'm at it.
Thanks,
Garland

Submitted by silver007@shaw.ca on Sun, 11/06/2005 - 15:07

Art Dickenson.
1983 XJS GT "Silver"
Pacific Jaguar.ca

Hey , if you want more performance put in a shift kit for a T400, I did on "Silver" many years ago . It included special governor springs , shifts quicker and you can even hold it in the gears to wherever you wanna shift..........this mod and a few other have made the car a rocket out of the slalom start area, next for acceleration get the 2.88 rear end changed for a 3.01 or similar, mine is 3.54 but this is too short for street use,
Art

Submitted by classicarsva@cs.com on Fri, 11/04/2005 - 23:29

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the good tips and suggestions! I replaced all components with stock parts (spring, rubber bush and spring cup. The new spring was 1" taller than the old one!)Solved the problem 100%. Also, while changing the trans fluid and filter, we installed a "Transgo" shift kit and new modulator. Much more positive shifts with almost no lag time at full throttle but smooth, positive shifting at part throttle. Also stays in 1st and 2nd gear longer. What a difference!

Thanks again,
Garland Gentry

Submitted by silver007@shaw.ca on Sun, 10/30/2005 - 20:14

Art Dickenson.
1983 XJS GT "Silver"
Pacific Jaguar.ca

Personally I would also replace the SPRING , the Kirby book has drawings of the proper assembly , get it for free from JAG LOVERS, I changed mone for track use to a GM polyurethan mount, but this may be too stiff for street use,
Good Luck, Art