WOndering what the difference is between a V15 and V16 Jags. Looking at a V15 that seems to run well and is in decent shape. Will be project/second car. I'm the Sales Manager at a new car dealership, so I understand the risk in buying a used car, and I've always like Jags. I also understand that there is a major commitment dollar wise to these vehicles. But when I look at my wholesale books they deduct for a V!% and I'm just wondering why.

Submitted by pascal@jcna.com on Tue, 02/10/2004 - 23:15

true... a nice clean XJ40, preferably in BRG..., still looks real good and not dated at all. BUT ONLY if it has the rectangular headlights... I nevr liked the rounded headlights on a 40... looks like aftermarket/aftertought... :-)

Pascal Gademer
South Florida Jaguar Club
72 E-type 2+2
00 XKR Coupe
99 XJR

Submitted by jam@ispwest.com on Tue, 02/10/2004 - 20:22

Chris,
got it now. I suppose the V15 is a certain run of production cars and the V16 another, but Pascal confirmed the difference, and that confirms the book deduction, because the 1988 is a troublemaker, I know that much. You can check www.jag-lovers.org for tons of info on the XJ-40 (Series 4 XJ-6). also search the Library here for a Production chart of XJ's from 1968 to 2000 if interested. Even though I prefer the style of the Series 3 XJ,
(obviously a lot of people did in the 90's because Jaguar re-created the curves and the Seres 3 "face" in the Series 5 XJ), I will say that the 1980's XJ-40 is an elegant car in its own way, sharp in the edges as it is, and as it gets older it looks better. In agreement with Pascal, I don't care for 'book values'either, those books only benefit the insurance "industry", Jaguar enthusiasts place a much higher value on their treasured cars and with good reason.

Submitted by pascal@jcna.com on Tue, 02/10/2004 - 17:36

in a few years of belonging and/or moderating forums/mailing lists including for a while the XJ40 list at Jag Lovers, I've never heard of any significant difference in early 88/89 XJ6s... and never heard of V15 or V16 ....

yes, the early XJ40s, pre 90, have a few more bugs and the later models are usually a better buy. Most have had the self levelling suspension upgraded to shocks n springs by now... (kits are about $500 + 2 or 3 hours) ... door handles can be a problem and also the electronic gauge cluster. Also, 87-89 models had a 3.6 litre engien vs the more powerful 4.0 found in 90s and up.

I'd guess the books show a slightly lower value because of new model bugs but by now I dn't see the reason for this... how a 15year old car was maintained and its history affects its condition and value much more than most books can show.

just my non professional opinion...

Pascal Gademer
South Florida Jaguar Club
72 E-type 2+2
00 XKR Coupe
99 XJR

Submitted by diznufus@hotmail.com on Tue, 02/10/2004 - 17:18

What I mean by V15 vs. V16 is in the VIN. Some 1998 XJ6's have a V15 in the VIN and some have V16. I take this to be first series vs. second series. What I'd like to know is what potential problems a V15 might have that a V16 would not. When I look in my appraisal books, there is a deduction for V15. Now this could simply be the fact that most first runs of cars have more potential problems (how many of us have been told never to buy the first year of a new model). I'm guessing it's kind of a crap shoot with any older XJ6 with mileage as to what you are going to get, but it seems all there, and the body is a 7 on a scale of 1-10. Just wanted to confirm the reason for a deduction for the V15.

Submitted by jam@ispwest.com on Tue, 02/10/2004 - 17:04

hello ? am I missing something here? where have I been? Am I so old ?

what's a Jaguar V15 and a V16? Somebody slap me!! The only V16 I ever heard about was a Cadillac or a Lincoln or a Packard back in the 1930's ???

Well, somebody? Because as far as I know, the 1988 is an XJ-40, also known as Series 4, also known as XJ-6 S4 by diehards.

What I do know is that the 1988 is plagued with some kind of suspension
leveling system problems, and door handle breakage problems, and who knows what else. And it is not as good looking as my Series 3.