I have started to remove the 2 gas tanks from my car but have come to a dead end.
First; I can't get the pop up fuel filler cap off the pipe to the tank. I have removed the 4 body screws and the bellows type rubber from the fill pipe but it won't come loose. Is there an internal screwed collar or something that I am missing? I really don't believe that the thin rubber that was on the pipe would be the only way they secured the pipe. There is very little room on the recess in the body to try to twist the cap from the outside. Need help! I really don't want to use the block of wood and hammer trick if I don't have to:)
Secondly; I have removed all of the hoses etc. as well as the x-member that is in front of the tank but the tank doesn't move at all. There are no straps or anything else that I can see. What is the magic answer? Do I need to remove the panels inside the rear cabin area to access some bolts?
As you can tell I am not a master Jag mechanic but have restored many cars over the years. I think I know the proper end of a screw driver to use but this thing has me stumped!!!
Please help.
Richard