Having promblem starting my 1973 xke when it sits too long.
The longer in sits in the garage the more trouble starting. I'm not talking about an extended period of time it will do this if it sits
for a day or two. Worse if it's a week or two. The chokes are working
any ideas?

Submitted by NE52-32043 on Tue, 11/16/2004 - 17:14

Joe,

It could be something as simple as Pascal suggests. On the other hand, when was the last time you tuned the car up? Check the plugs, make sure they are clean and gapped properly (.025"). Check the wires. The heat from the engine cooks the wires. If it has been a while, consider putting in fresh plugs and ignition wires. How about the coil?

Have you run the car enough to get the old gas out of the tank. The gas will degrade over a few months, so you want to either add stabilizer (like over the winter) or run it enough to get almost a full tank of fresh fuel into the gas tank when you fill up. Did you change the grade of gas or place you buy it recently?

Also check around the engine for vacuum leaks and lines that may have come loose. Most of the problems I had with my V-12 E-type was from problems with the vacuum lines.

Hope that helps.

Steve Weinstein, JTC-NJ

Submitted by pascal@jcna.com on Mon, 11/15/2004 - 21:34

fuel evaporating from the carbs? try turning the ignition on and wait a little while so that the fuel pump can fill the bowls and pressurize the fuel lines

Pascal Gademer
South Florida Jaguar Club
72 E-type 2+2
00 XKR Coupe
99 XJR