Hello all, I am new to the forum and Iam grateful I find it. I also wanted to say hello. My name is Jimmy Devarie and live in Quincy, MA. I just got a hold of a nice cosmetically looking 1972 XJ6. The car is fine for the most part but just recently began doing something weird. It seems that a cylinder is not operating. I have replaced plugs, wires and contact/condenser and rotor cover to no avail. I haave checked all the gaps twice and no help. I have checked the compression on all cylinders and it is fine (in my opinion), I got about 120psi on each cylinder. I did this warm and cold since the problem starts showing when the engine warms up a bit. I have tried to isolate the problem to a cylinder and it appears that cyl#6 is the problem. When at idle, pulling the cable does not change the sound or behaviour of the engine however, if I raise the RPMs to about 1700 and pull the same wire, the change is immediate so I assume that the cylinder works at least partially. Placing the car in gear makes things worse at idle, however as soon as I press the accelerator to move the car seems to recover and work normally.
Does anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance.

Submitted by jdevarie@usa.com on Fri, 10/22/2004 - 06:28

Hello Richard and thank you for your message. Thank you for the suggestions, all that you mention makes sense. The car was delivered by the previous owner to my house after a drive of about 70miles. I had warmed it up in the driveway for several days after that but all of the sudden the skip began. I have slowly discovered several things wrong with this car. The cylinder head has been replaced but the incorrect head was used. This car originally came with an air pump and air injection ports on the head but the head currently in does not have the port nor the air pump is present. I checked compression both when cold and warm and could not see any difference between cylinders but your suggestion makes sense since when checking the compression the chains are not tensioned. I will check that.
Besides all this I am very exited to have this car. It looks very good inside. The woodwork is in good shape and the seats and carpets are nice. I cannot wait to get this car on the road.
Once again, thanks for the message and I will post any developments.
regards,
Jim.

Cogito ergo Zoom
It's better in a Jag.