I'm going to buy a 1971 XKE roadster. I have not seen the car yet, but I am assuming that it has the newer style front wheel wells that differ from the 1961-1970. I was told that some of the cars that came to the USA still had the old style Series II bonnet.

Questions:
1. Is it possible to put a Series I bonnet on the 1971 body? I love the Series I covered headlight and want the original look.
2. How much will a used bonnet cost me on average? Are they ever for sale? What will a new bonnet cost me and where would I get the best price?

Thanks,
Peter

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Sat, 08/26/2006 - 16:39

Peter I have thought about what you were told. While there is no difference in the parts themselves there could be a difference in the ride height of European models. I will check my books but the US model was raised for bumper height requirements. Perhaps this distance which would be clear at the tire height to fender (wing) caused the incorrect observation that the parts were different. George Camp

Submitted by urbanski@gwi.net on Thu, 08/24/2006 - 23:00

I want to thank everyone for their input. I priced a new bonnet today at Terry's Jaguar and the cost is around $10K! The only reason why I thought about a new bonnet is that I was told that the 1971 Series II car has a higher front wheel fender like on the Series III V-12. I like the original look of the 1961-1970 front fender. After talking to one of the people at KX's Unlimited, he assured me that all bonnets are the same on the Series I and II cars. Apparently, some of the european E-Types had higher wheel/fender cut outs for the 1971 model. I wish someone could clear this issue up for me. Again, have NOT seen the 1971 roadster that I may be buying. The owner is going to send me digital files sometime soon, so this will eventually clear this issue up for me.
I did not know that SNG Barrat sells a headlight conversion kit. I have been corresponding with Stefan Wahl in Germany who is an XKE fantatic and engineer. He has designed a kit that sells for around 1150 Euros, plus shipping which around another 74 Euros. The Series II cars look very nice with the modification. He says that each light takes around 8 hours to install and that you can convert back to the Series II lights at any point without damaging the bonnet.

Submitted by DavidBarnes71@… on Thu, 08/24/2006 - 20:50

If it is just covered head lights you are after looks like SNG Barrat sells a kit to modify the The Series II and III bonnet. I see it on page 297 of their "Edition 2" catalog p/n SBS9252. Looks like it was $2600 in the price list they sent with this catalog I got a couple of years ago. I think I saw a Series III that had this kit installed and it looked very nice. It looks like it puts the lamps back in the Series I position flush with the front of the openings so it does not have the "bug-eyed" looks of the Series II and III. Might be alot easier and cheaper that fitting a Series I bonnet.

David Barnes '68 FHC

Submitted by pete4t@ncia.net on Thu, 08/24/2006 - 20:00

For what itÔÇÖs worth, this ad is on the JANE web site:
For Sale: 1969 Series II Jaguar Bonnet: "Brand New" This front end sheet metal was purchased over twenty years ago from a parts dealer in RI. It is new and in near perfect condition aside from a couple of dings from being in a garage for so long. I have plenty of photos to share upon your request. Serious inquiries only please. Best fair offer takes it. Contact Chris Kielb. advance-weldingatcomcast.net or (413) 734-4544 or (413) 531-7580
Good luck
'92 XJS Convertible

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Thu, 08/24/2006 - 18:14

What he is asking is do you have a series 2 or series 3 (V-12), If you have a series 2 YES you can put a series 3 bonnet on with work---but the expanded wheel lips will look dumb unless you do the rear wheel arches __more bucks and in the end you will have-- well----your dream car. George Camp

Submitted by NC19-03320J on Thu, 08/24/2006 - 16:14

The parts book doesn't list any differences in the bonnets. If someone knows where you can get a new bonnet for a S1 right now I would greatly appreciate knowing as one of our club members had an accident and cannot find a new bonnet anywhere.

Submitted by urbanski@gwi.net on Thu, 08/24/2006 - 14:30

If I told you how much I am paying for the 1971 you would be buying it too! I love the silver/black combination, but hate the Series II look. This car is a 6 cyl., 4.2 engine. I am not sure as to what you mean by "A2" and "A3".
I just got off of the phone with Terry's Jaguar and they said that the wheel well height and size is the same from 1961-to 1971. He thinks that the European cars had some modifications to the size and shape. What's your take on this? I will only know when i receive pictures of the car.

Submitted by bonnettoboot@e… on Thu, 08/24/2006 - 13:58

Peter, what series do you have? A 2 or 3, Is it a V12? If so you cannot fit an earlier bonnet. In any event why would you want to convert a car, buy the model you want to start with! Jaguar affectionado and etc.

Submitted by ianc@uvic.ca on Thu, 08/24/2006 - 13:50

You can put an earlier bonnet on, but there's a good chance you won't get one to fit without alterations. They were originally made too long, and then cut to fit each car, so the chances of finding ane that's just right are pretty slim. Cost is about $5,000 for a good used one, $about $8,000 for new one, time you get it prepped and painted. 1969 E Type