This part seems like it should come from a component that is running from the various belts attached to the engine. I have the alternator, P/S, A/C compressor, and water pump, some (?) of which are attached to the accessory support bracket you see in the background of this picture. I suspect it's part of a support bracket for one of the pulleys.

I note that none of the regular forum helpers (invaluable) have been on the site for many weeks, which regrettably suggests that the horribly constructed new site is of little or no help to desperados like me. We'll see!

Submitted by reachafw@hotmail.com on Thu, 05/21/2015 - 14:08

No, it's a lock bar that stops 2 bolts from unscrewing. You move up the tabs against two of the flats on the bolts. The only place I can remember seeing this is in the brake area, but everything's re-assembled there.

Submitted by reachafw@hotmail.com on Wed, 05/20/2015 - 13:18

I'm hoping that just adding to my original post keeps the thread together. First, many thanks for the hint about the jockey pulley bracket (not familiar with that name). Of note is the fact that the hole is squared off on two sides, meaning it fits"into" something. Do you know of any illustrations... Jag/Daimler illustrations manual, Robert Bentley, etc.) showing this part (as part of a whole unit)?
And if I may indulge you further, I have another "mystery". Hopefully the picture goes through when I send this. These parts are all in one bag, the 9 rear bolts longer than the front 4. They're not for the brakes or water pump. Any thoughts?