I own a 1971 E-Type Ser. II FHC. It is a factory A/C car and incorporates a separate ballast resistor in the wiring system at the coil. A Pertronix Ignitor kit (including a Flame Thrower 3.0 ohm coil) was installed to replace the points system. As part of the conversion, the ballast resistor was removed. The Ignitor module became problematic after running a minute and was removed. The points were reinstalled, and the car runs much better. The Flame Thrower coil was retained and the ballast resistor was not reinstalled. Somewhere during this process, the tach failed. The current question is whether the ballast resistor should be reinstalled in conjunction with the Flame Thrower. I bring this question to the Forum as I have received conflicting information from the product "techs". Has anyone had any experience with this conversion, care to comment or recommend an alternate system. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Fri, 03/07/2014 - 16:56

My exp. is that the higher coils will just cut the life of the points-w/o any real gain. Your tach might be suffering from a blown fuse--do you have brake lights? If not it is the fuse. I would go back to stock w/ the ballast as that is a very functional system. Good Luck.