Hello out there...
My name is Mike.I am in the process of doing a light cosmetic restoration of my series II Jag XKE OTS.I would appreciate some advice on the best way to proceed with removal of the front and rear bumpers so they can be rechromed.I have appied penitrating oil to the visible bolts.Any secrets to doing this job with-out damaging anything?? Thanks,Dr. Mike

Submitted by NE52-32043 on Mon, 04/18/2005 - 13:48

Edited on 2005-04-18 13:49:50

Dr. Mike,

Keep using the penetrating oil. I've found the best stuff around is Aero-Kroil. Amazing stuff. Also good is PB Blaster, but IMHO, Kroil works faster. Keep spraying the stuff on and be patient. Eventually, they will come loose. The nuts go onto studs that are welded into the body. The risk of putting too much torque on them is that if the body is rusted in that area, you will rip out the studs. Not the end of the world, but you'll end up doing some body welding and repainting that you hadn't planned on.

Once you get them off, use a wire brush and clean the threads up really well. You might want to run a re-threader over them to clean them up as well. Then put a light coating of anti-sieze on them to keep them from rusting while you are waiting for the bumpers to come back from rechroming.

Steve Weinstein, JTC-NJ
'70 XKE FHC
'69 XKE OTS