Previous owner installed spring spacers in front left rear spring. I replaced all four rear springs and Koni adjustable shocks and bushings, as well as rear suspension bushings. Left rear still sits about 1 to 1 1/2" lower than right side and increases to about 2 to 2 1/2" lower than right rear with a driver. Front sits level and front to right rear is level. Any thoughts or help?
Jim Larson

Submitted by vinvstrom@sbcg… on Fri, 06/13/2008 - 02:17

64 E-type roadster

See attached picture
I just finished doing the rear end on a 64 that had rubber spacers they had been put there for a long time ago by someone else. I'm not sure if this is the same thing you are thinking of doing but they caused the springs to bend out of shape.. When I got the thing all apart I thought they might be ruined. They where slightly bent I chose to reuse them without the spacers and it now sits exactly the same height as before and they straighted out under the force of installing to the shock. The shocks where not the reason for the redo but if It was and I had the money I would look hard to find stiffer springs to fix it instead of spacers with all the work involved.
Vin

Submitted by NE52-32043 on Thu, 06/12/2008 - 14:41

Edited on 2008-06-12 14:42:27

Jim,

I have the very same issue with my '70 Ser. 2 coupe. The left side sits lower than the right side, and gets lower when I get into it. I understand that some people think this is something of a design element relating to the RH drive origins of the car -- when the driver gets in on the right side, the car levels out. Perhaps. Next time I see Norman Dewes, I have to remember to ask him that.

Terry Lippincott, who restored my car, says the only way to correct for this problem is with the spring spacers on the left rear springs. He recently sent me a couple, but I'm probably going to take the car out to him and have him do the installation. I don't like playing with spring compressors. I'll let you know if that solves my problems.

Regards,
Steve

Submitted by SC38-21185J on Mon, 06/02/2008 - 09:55

Jim: I am not qualified to advise you on your problem, but thought I would respond with some thoughts. I think you can narrow this down to either the springs or the torsion bars, and I hope it is not the latter.

If the weight is off of the rear end, is the front still level? If not then, the torsion bars are either weak, or require adjusting. Have the torsion bars been out of the car? There is a right and a left. I would first get the front perfectly level. The Bentley service book shows how to make a tool for re-setting the torsion bars. I made one myself and it will get you close.

Second issue may be that of spring weakness. After you have checked or reset the T-bars, and if the front is not level, then I would at least check the springs to make sure they match. You can take or send them to a spring shop for testing or just buy some new ones. A hydraulic press should give you a readout vs. amount of compression, but this is probably a dangerous procedure best left to a qualified shop.

But once you get the front perfectly level, and you still have an unlevel rear-end, try swapping springs (left to right and right to left) to see if the problem follows with the springs. If it does, then that tells you the springs are bad.

Keep in mind that the amount of gas in the tank will have some affect on left to right ride height.

Anyway, sorry to hear of the problems, what a pain in the rear...literally. Personally, I suspect the torsion bars. (At one time, I tried one of those adjustable torsion-bar tie-plates, but I didn't like it.)

Patrick