Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 03/29/2001 - 17:00

I would be grateful if anyone with concours level knowledge or experience would be willing to answer a few questions regarding authenticity related to a 1970 (May) E-Type OTS. (615) 794-9353 or (615) 260-3137. Thanks very much.

Submitted by LazyMD@msn.com on Sat, 11/02/2002 - 00:00

: Recently became proud owner of this beauty. Questions: Smyth Tachometer

: and speedometer often erratic. Is this fixable?

: Door lock problems- doors occasionally lock themselves--??

: Radio- when I turn on it seems to blow fuse after awhile, , shutting

: down tachometer,etc.??

: Lacquer paint--what's best to use to buff out "swirls, etc?"

: Thank you

Bentley's has a good section on the door locks, which are easy to adjust and/or fix. If you have a 2+2 get back to me for more instructions on the locks which are slightly different.

I have no idea how to get swirls out of laquer.

Stew Cleave - JOCO

'69 E-Type 2+2 and proud of it

Been their done that except fot the laquer thing

Submitted by pp7700@hotmail.com on Sat, 11/02/2002 - 00:00

: Recently became proud owner of this beauty. Questions: Smyth Tachometer

: and speedometer often erratic. Is this fixable?

: Door lock problems- doors occasionally lock themselves--??

: Radio- when I turn on it seems to blow fuse after awhile, , shutting

: down tachometer,etc.??

: Lacquer paint--what's best to use to buff out "swirls, etc?"

: Thank you

Radio - The hot wire should come off the accessory post on the ignition switch and power nothing but the radio or other similar accessory. You should install an inline fuse on this wire. Tach should not have anything to do with the radio unless the wiring has been cobbled. You will need a good wiring diagram to determine if things have been messed with. And don't forget that most English electrical problems are simply poor ground problems.

Speedometer - probably the cable from the angle drive to the rear of the speedometer. Get a copy of Robert Bentley's Complete Official Jaguar "E" -page 359 shows you how to test the cable. You may be able to order Bentley's or other workshop manual through this website. But the cable is probably cheaper than Bentley's. If not the cable then check the angle drive. Depending on where you live there are two major instrument rebuilders one on the east coast and one on the west coast that can fix your speedometer or tach. Check Hemmings Motor News for their names. Speedometer should run smooth except at low speeds

Submitted by bbshriver@eart… on Fri, 11/01/2002 - 00:00

Recently became proud owner of this beauty. Questions:

Smyth Tachometer and speedometer often erratic. Is this fixable?

Door lock problems- doors occasionally lock themselves--??

Radio- when I turn on it seems to blow fuse after awhile, , shutting down tachometer,etc.??

Lacquer paint--what's best to use to buff out "swirls, etc?"

Thank you

Submitted by jeffbolmeyer@m… on Tue, 10/15/2002 - 00:00

I am looking for input and direction for anyone that may be able to help with a problem that I am having with my 98 XJ8. I have had complete engine failure (no compression) due to abnormal cylinder wear. The car has 67K miles and has been maintained with immaculate care. The Nicosil has worn thru on the cylinders at the top of the stroke. I have never seen anything like this (and neither has my mechanic).

I have an extended warranty with a third party, and they have refused to pay for the repair. The warranty people call it "normal" wear. I have also gone to Jaguar NA without any success. Needless to say, I am quite disappointed and frustrated with the situation. I have heard that BMW had issues with Nicosil in their cylinders in the mid 90's.

Many thanks.