I'm looking for a rough ballpark asking price for a 1970 2+2 manual 6 cylinder green/beige leather. My father bought it used in the mid-70s and kept it up and running until the early to mid 90's, when he got too old to deal with driving it. It's a Texas car, about 45k miles, maintained by a jag admirer( former new 1967 3.8s owner) but not a fanatic or gearhead. He had a mechanic work on it --not himself, and it was always running. He got a kit and re-did the leather in the early to mid 80's. No rust under the carpets. Always garaged, but never intended as show car. Car has not been driven more than every few months for last 4 or so years, and not at all for last year. It drove fine last time it was fired up, but now in the garage with dead battery and flat tires. Body is pretty, paint good, leather good. I have not idea what might need attention since it hasn't been driven for these years.

I am just not qualified to estimate its value within even $5,000. I am guessing somewhere in the 9 to 14 range, but that just based on random posts I've seen on the net.

If anyone would be so kind as to offer me a hint on value or even broad range for this sort of car I would appreciate it.

Submitted by NE52-32043 on Mon, 08/30/2004 - 15:24

I didn't see if you mentioned whether it was an automatic or a manual transmission. The manuals are generally worth several thousand more than the automatics. Also, does it have AC? Working? That's worth something also, especially if it was factory installed unit.

It's hard to estimate a range without seeing even a couple of pictures of the car. But the ball park you cited sounds about right for a 2+2, give or take, depending on condition, etc.

Steve Weinstein, JTC-NJ
'70 XKE FHC
'69 XKE OTS
'84 Ferrari Mondial QV

Submitted by pascal@jcna.com on Sun, 08/29/2004 - 20:36

if no rust, a good driver would be worth around 15k... a little more if paint and interior is real nice. relatively low mileage, manual box are +

Problem in your case is what needs to be done to make it run properly. at the very least, and assuming there are no big surprises, it will need new hoses, new belts, new tires adn battery, carb / fuel pump rebuild, brakes (master, etc...), etc... how much will this add up to is hard to tell, depending on who does the work.. anywhere between $1500 and $3000.

you are better off getting this done before selling it... a well running car will fetch much more.. too many unknonwn otherwise

Pascal Gademer
South Florida Jaguar Club
72 E-type 2+2
00 XKR Coupe
99 XJR