I was starting the car and saw sparks coming from dip stick. What is the cause and how do I fix. Thank you. Ed Lydon

Submitted by Bfastr@cox.net on Tue, 04/23/2013 - 13:49

Ok, ill bite. This is a new one on me. Can you be a little more specific? Sparks are going to appear from either an electrical arc, or a mechanical clash of metal parts.
So when you say from the dipstick, where exactly do you mean? Are they shooting off the top like and old frankenstein movie?
The dipstick should not be near the HT leads, (spark plug wire), but if you have them loosely drapped all over and they are poorly made or dressed there can be sparks from those wires to a ground.
The only other wires I know of in a 69 that get near the dipstick are the low voltage leads to the AC fan resistor.
But they should Running along the top frame rail well away from the dipstick too. And since this is a 12 volt circuit i suspect you will blow a fuse before too much of a light show from them.

Does the car start and run normal? Or is it miss firing? and is this an observation from the drivers seat? Or someone standing near the engine as you start the car.