I need some help and advice about my brakes. I want newer style brakes. Perhaps someone out there has looked in to this and can help. Seem the series three cars received an upgrade to a vented front rotor, the fronts doing most of the stopping, and I believe but have not confirmed that the calipers themselves went to a four-pot configuration. I would very much like to put this set-up on my car, if it will fit. It will still be all Jaguar, but I would feel safer. This car is a 2+2, a little heavier, and it will be a daily driver. Any and all help and advice greatly appreciated. Yes, this is my 6th E-Type, and I know of what I speak. I did the heart-breaking repair of my rear brakes, once!

Submitted by bonnettoboot@e… on Sun, 07/31/2011 - 18:56

There are number of good upgrade kits on the market, the difference with larger callipers and pads is instantly noticeable. For those who "ride the brakes" or drive hard it is a worthwhile conversion. As for lock up, this is a driver initiated problem!

Submitted by rcmaury@bellso… on Sun, 07/31/2011 - 17:23

Just a few observations and comments: The Series 2 cars went to 3 piston front calipers with solid rotors 1/2" thick vs 3/8 on the previous cars. The V12's went to ventilated rotors with the calipers spaced apart. The almost same calipers were used on the Series 1 XJ6 and 12. The 6 using solid rotors and the 12 using the same calipers but spaced out for ventilated. However, the sedans used calipers that had slightly larger pistons and therefore more grip for the same brake application. The V12 did not use 4 piston calipers. The later calipers will also not fit onto the early "curly" hub wire wheels. The 3.8 and 4.2 Series 1 had identical size calipers. The 4.2 had a larger diameter booster and had a bit more assist making it seem to have better brakes. The spacing between the bolt heads is different from the early to later calipers so they will not simply bolt on. There are aftermarket calipers that look like the Series 3 calipers and they do bolt on and clear the early wheels. Wilwood also makes calipers and adapters are available for a direct bolt up. Changes can be made but you need to be careful. The rear calipers for the Series 2 XKE are virtually the same through the end of the XJ6 run and they used 4 piston front on ventilated rotors. There were rear calipers made for the Daimler Limo's in England that used larger pistons on the rear. The are a direct bolt in for the Series 2 and on cars. If your brakes are balanced front and rear now, increasing the fronts only will only make the front brake better and can be a problem in emergency braking.

Submitted by jklekas@aol.com on Sun, 07/31/2011 - 16:32

Just an observation after completing a canyon drive near Park City and down East Canyon and then Emigration Canyon into Salt Lake an hour ago with the Bonneville Austin Healey Club and the Wasatch Mountain Jaguar Review club. My 63 E-Type coupe might have left a little to be desired in the brake department when I owned it. but the brakes in my 68 E-Type OTS seem very balanced and effective with good stopping power and no fade. I certainly wouldn't change my setup but would like to hear how it turns out if you change yours.
Good Luck,

Jim Klekas
SLC, UT

Submitted by SE98-32482CJ on Sun, 08/15/2010 - 08:31

Dave I agree that there is not a thing that needs to be done to a 67s bake system unless the car has been modified for racing--today that means a lot more HP than was used in the days of the cars youth. As far as the numbers quoted I think they are very crossed as there was no V-12 coupe--ever..

Submitted by woebegone@mind… on Sat, 08/14/2010 - 22:11

This is just from some guy who used to work on them when lots were driven.

The brakes on Jags, discs we're talkin', were excellent for the particular vehicle.
Race proven, if I am not mistaken.

A Series 1 3.8L roadster weighs 24 cwt, or 2688 pounds.
A Series 1 3.8L coupe weighs 24.1 cwt, or 2699 pounds.
A Series 1 4.2L weighs 25.1 cwt or 2811 pounds.
A Series 3 V-12 roadster weighs 30.1 cwt or 3371 pounds.
A Series 3 V-12 coupe weighs 28.8 cwt or 3225 pounds.
A Series 3 V-12 2+2 weighs 29.5 cwt or 3304 pounds.

I don't like those numbers, I think the folks who put them up crossed up the V-12 numbers.

That said, it gives you an idea of WHY there are bigger brakes on a V-12 version, just like a 1950 Cadillac had much bigger swept area than a Nash Rambler. (beep-beep)

Once the proper brakes are rebuilt and bias kept proper for the vehicle, they are, in my fading memory, far better than you need.
If they lock the wheels in a panic, you can only get beter with ABS.

Series 1 are roughly 50-50 bias, whilst Series 3 are roughly 53/47, or 52/48.

Your Series 1 is set up to offer the best for the weight and balance of the car.
You start putting in braking systems for a car of much different weight and bias, you may not like what happens in a 4-wheel-lock emergency application.
There is 600-700 pounds difference between the vehicles.

But, maybe you will.

Only real issue is you will have spent a LOT of money converting, and if you don't like it, even MORE to go back.

Just something to think about.

I wouldn't dream of telling you NOT to do it.

Dave