I am looking to purchase a 1966 Mark 10 or 1967 420. I don't know too much about these cars in terms of mechanical reliability, performance, upkeep, etc. All I know is that I like the classic look.

Can anyone give me some advise or opinions regarding these cars?

Submitted by silver007@shaw.ca on Fri, 01/06/2006 - 21:00

Art Dickenson.
1983 XJS GT "Silver"
Pacific Jaguar.ca

One of our members has a 420 , he finished restoration about threemyears ago now. He says he prefers driving the 420 above his E Type.

Submitted by spudboy999@aus… on Fri, 01/06/2006 - 18:30

Jeffrey,
I would like to recommend the 420 saloon. As a current owner of one undergoing a very expensive restoration, and someone who grew up with one in the family, I can highly recommend the car. It performs very well, and is quite roomy too! 4 wheel disc brakes, 4.2l engine with dual carbs, this car is the predecessor to the XJ saloon. If you can find one in somewhat decent shape, you could do a restoration yourself, or if you have a wheelbarrow full of money you can have it restored. Our family 420 performed for over 80,000 miles without any major failures, even traveling on dirt roads in Mexico! As with all older Jaguars, engine cooling issues will be the main concern, but otherwise the 420 is quite a worthy sports saloon....

david
1967 420 Saloon

Submitted by mikealewis49@c… on Mon, 01/02/2006 - 17:42

Jeffrey,
The Mark 10 is a rewarding car to own and drive. However, if you intend to restore one to original condition, certain parts that are specific to the car are difficult to find. Patience becomes a necessary virtue.
If wood and leather on the car you buy are in need of repair or replacement, the costs will be higher, due to the substantial quantities, than on a smaller car.
If you want wire wheels, the Mark 10 did not come with them, however, I have seen two cars with replacement bolt-on 15" wire wheels. The original steel wheels for the car are 14".

Mike Lewis
'66 Mark 10
'86 XJ6 S3

Submitted by ppilon@westshore.com on Tue, 12/27/2005 - 17:45

I've been thinking about selling either my Series I XJ or the Mk X now that I've moved and I've got no underground parking.

Submitted by bonnettoboot@e… on Mon, 12/26/2005 - 13:07

Hello Jeffrey, Merry Christmas to you and everyone else on the site. Did you mean 420G? There is a big difference between the two models you list, the Mk 10 is big and luxurious the 420 is its smaller cousin. I think the Mk 10 is one of the last really good products from Browns lane. They are an excellent car when maintained and are relatively inexpensive. I know of one (30 year owned)California, car that may still be for sale. Let me know where you are or contact me direct, Regards Jaguar affectionado and etc.

Submitted by dougdwyer@adel… on Mon, 12/26/2005 - 11:41

More information would help, as we don't know your budget, your expectations, if you will be having all work professionally done or if you are a DIY guy and, if so, how experienced. Would this be your first Jag? Are you specifically looking for a project car? Is your end goal a presentable "driver" or a fully restored example?

Upkeep and reliability would begin *after* you've found a half-way decent car and lovingly brought it back to good operating condition, which would likely be a very large undertaking as few exist in anything but "rough" condition.....or at least that's been my observation. Once you have restored all systems and sub-sytems to proper order ($$$) I don't see that it should be too terribly difficult to keep them that way.....it won't be like owning a modern day Toyota or anything like that, though.

They surely are splendid when restored, though. There was a very nice one on Ebay a few weeks ago.

Cheers,

Doug Dwyer
Longview Washington USA
1987 XJ6 Ser III
1988 XJS V12 Coupe