I am trying to find out if the 1964 Coupe was available with the 4.2l engine or just the 3.8l. Any opinions on the differences will be appreciated.
Thanks

Submitted by donander@us.ibm.com on Thu, 08/21/2008 - 12:09

Hello Chuck, I have a downloaded owners list file that shows the factory appeared to finish with the 3.8 in August and started the 4.2 production in September of 1964. It shows that a few cars were registered late in 1964 as a 1964 so some might consider them to be a 1964. It would be interesting to know what the factory or dealer invoice stated. My 64 FHC was built 5/20/64, dispatched 6/8/64 and delivered in Texas 8/12/64, so you can see it took awhile to be delivered here in the US. These are the dates on my JDHT certificate. The cetificate does not specify a model year just the dates I have shown above. I think your question is really what the governing vehicle registration department classified the model year of the car when it was first registered, particularily if it was first done late in 1964. To obtain a JDHT certificate you must show evidence of being the current owner of a vehicle and it takes about 2-3 weeks from when you submit this evidence and pay the fee. Good luck, Don

Submitted by NC19-03320J on Thu, 08/21/2008 - 11:21

Chuck I assume that you're l;ooking at a 64 with a 4.2 engine and the owner claims some were made that way. While I suppose that anything is possible I'd be willing to bet just about anything that you'll find no factory information stating that this is true. A JDHT certificate of the car will show which engine was installed at the factory as will the commission plate if, and that's a big IF, it is original. A 64 3.8 engine numbershould start with RA.