Okay. I got my hoses today, fixed the brake issues, and they work great.
However, I may have another issue.
Once in a while on cold start this things smokes a bit. Smells like nothing I have ever smelled before.....except brake fluid.

When a booster goes, can these boosters draw brake fluid into them and burn it in the engine?
I am guessing the diaphram would have to be bad also.
Could just be old gas.
Fluid level seems to be staying right wehere I put it.

Next, charging system.
I yanked the AC out and the compressor mount, and there is an alternator down there!
The wiring for the generator is taped off, the pad for the regulator is empty forward of the fuse box.

Did they have alternators on a 64 MKII?

Last, what does the cover for the fuse box look like?
I have a metal box in the boot, with three sides, and a hole in the top.
If that is what this is, what fastener held it to the standoff?
A wingnut?
And, to prevent dirt from impacting the fuses, does the opening go towards the rear?

Lastly, on a 2.4, what is the "proper" threaded fastener to hold the top aluminun portion of the air cleaner to the oil bath unit?

This has a brass acorn and two thick spacers (about 3/8" each).

Thanks.

Submitted by woebegone@mind… on Thu, 05/22/2008 - 01:19

Ah.
I found the cover and the knurled knob IN the boot.
In a box of "stuff".
The fusebox (two of them when I got the car) is on the inner RF Wing.
The second one is the same box, screwed with one screw into a hole where the generator voltage regulator went, power line jumpered to the first.
Was for the AC and auxilliary fan.

Now removed.

Just trying to figure if any insulating material was affixed to the inside of the metal fusebox cover.
Also, was it really only 3-sided, or did someone cut off one side?

Thanks!

Submitted by mortoncjc@mind… on Wed, 05/21/2008 - 17:37

J.A.M.
I usually use White Post. I also have used a company in New York; I think it was Apple Hydraulics.

First, price out a new booster. Then look at your booster bores; maybe you don't need to sleeve them. The booster sleeving is tricky becasuse there are several different diameters involved in the main concentric opening.

Submitted by woebegone@mind… on Wed, 05/21/2008 - 12:42

Found for sure the metal fusebox cover.
Scary.
Metal right next to the hot always side of the fusebox.
Found the knurled knob in the boot to attach said cover.

So far, brake fluid staying exactly where I put it.

Drove to Starbux this morning.
All these years, you rarely if ever see another old Jag.
So, in the stall next to where I pulled in is a 2+2 E.

Weird.

Submitted by zurdo_1@univis… on Wed, 05/21/2008 - 12:24

Jim,

who rebuilds these Servos in the SouthEast area? (if you know anyone).
I only know of White Post Restorations in White Post, Virginia, and they are like $400. to rebuild, sure they return a brand new unit, but pricey....

thanks

J.A.M.

Submitted by mortoncjc@mind… on Wed, 05/21/2008 - 10:56

I bagree with the bad diaphragm diagnosis. Happens all the time. Tomorrow morning, disconnect the vacuum line at the engine and plug the hole in the manifold before starting. You should not have the smoke/smell issue. You can also hook a vacuum pump to the line and see if even a trace of fluid can be pulled from the booster. There should be no fluid, not even a trace. Try a long-term vacuum pull on the booster - it should hold.

Boosters can be rebuilt (Have the bores sleeved at the same time.)

Submitted by zurdo_1@univis… on Wed, 05/21/2008 - 10:37

TOC,

sounds like the Servo has a bad diaphragm, there is brake fluid in there. Do you have a rubber and metal line from the servo going into the intake side of the engine? That's where it's going, therefore the smell of burning brake fluid. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

if you have an alternator, it was installed to cope with the a/c unit's load. it's done all the time in these cars.

http://www.starautoelectric.com Mike Martinez there (near you), rebuilds and stocks original Lucas Generators, Alternators, Starters, you name it.

J.A.M.