In a day the engine refuses to turn over. Battery fully charged, no sound from fuel pump as usual, clicking sound, contacts cleaned at remote starter which solved the problem previously. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chuck

Submitted by SC38-21185J on Sat, 07/04/2009 - 17:46

Pretty much why I wanted him to rule in or rule out the starter motor. If it spins and connects with a hot battery, then it is ignition hardware related (including grounds).

Replacing the ignition switch and push button would be next. Try squirting some WD-40 into the key hole...might loosen up some stuck tumblers.

Happy BD America.
(Now, back to my beer!)

Submitted by wcjssj@comcast.net on Sat, 07/04/2009 - 16:01

Hi Chuck

i dont know how you hooked up the second battery, but if you used your battery leads, then you should check grounds. Is the battery ground lead bolted to unpainted and unrusted metal on the firewall? A common problem.

Also, Jag ignition switches often go bad. I now have mine close a little 40amp relay from NAPA so all the current goes thru the relay and the ignition switch just closes it.

Good luck

Curt

Submitted by SC38-21185J on Sat, 07/04/2009 - 12:02

Well, before you get that deep, make sure the push button on the panel is operating correctly.

A bit unorthox, but find the heavy lead and touch it with a live battery (ignition off, of course) just to see if the starter responds to 12 volts (observe polarity). The bendix sits atop the starter, and when energized, throws the starting gear into the ring gear to engage and turn.
If, when you touch the bendix hot leaf with say, a jumper cable, the bendix should engage and spin the flywheel. If it does, then you have a bad connection up the line. If it doesn't turn, then it's time to replace the unit.

It's not a particularly difficult job to get the starter out as there are only two bolts holding it on. I think you'll have to do this from under the car, and you'll need to remove the undershields (it has been awhile since I've done this). Look at a manual if you have one (and you should have one),

Disconnect the battery and remove the lead wires from the bendix. Loosen and remove the 2 bolts, and withdraw the starter. Be carefull to keep a special spacer that goes between the starter and housing.

If you care about originality, you can have the starter rebuilt. There was a time when that Bendix unit was not available. If function is more important, contact SNG Barratt or XK's and find a newer-version starter that will fit where the old one is. You really don't want to be doing this again, so I would reccommend a new starter. If you put in a replacement, make sure to save the old one. Before you slip in the new one, do a quick test to make sure it works.

I know if will be a chore, but now would be a good time to brush some grease into the teeth of the ring gear. Yeah, I know, not much room to work with. But if you can remove the plugs and get a friend to rotate the engine using a socket on the front damper, it would be well worth your time. Hopefully your ring gear is not chewed up....greasing it will ceratinly add life to it.

Good luck.

Submitted by vze4p6xc@verizon.net on Sat, 07/04/2009 - 11:38

Patrick,
Thanks for all your answers. No go with a different battery hooked up to charger/starter.
Is the starter motor next. I have not been under the car yet; I plan to test voltage at starter.
Is the starter a difficult replacement?
Chuck

Submitted by SC38-21185J on Fri, 07/03/2009 - 18:31

Are you saying the starter motor is not turning over the engine? And that all you get are clicking noises?

Bad battery; try another one. Make sure good contact between posts and battery terminal.

P