I am having a problem obtaining the proper color paint for my 1963 E-Type.

I prefer working with Dupont Base/Clear and so far the two colors I have been given are totally incorrect (at $300.00+ per gallon thank you). The car is Carmine (Carmen) Red, Dupont laquer paint code 8311. The first batch of paint I received was way too red and the second attempt was kind of brown.

Can anyone help me with a formula that I could give to a my paint dealer to obtain the correct color?

The car is a complete restoration, body work is complete and I am ready for paint.

ANY Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Submitted by NE52-32043 on Mon, 07/19/2004 - 10:42

Color matching is a b*tch. According to the chart on Terry's Jaguar site, the correct paint code for the Dupont Laquer is 8311LH. If you're not able to find a cross-reference that provides the right color, you might try getting some of the laquer and painting a sample swatch. Then you can have it computer matched to the BC/CC formula. Alternatively, if you have a sample of what you want, they can do a computer match. If you know of someone's car painted the right color, see if you can borrow their gas filler cover to have a computer scan done on it.

When we repainted my Ser. III 2+2 a couple of years ago, the "pale primrose" that came from the stock formula was too yellow. Fortunately, the painter was very skilled and was able to work the mix to come up with a perfect match to the original color.

Steve Weinstein, JTC-NJ
'72 E-type 2+2 (for sale)
'70 XKE FHC