I recently saw an ad for the sale of a 1961 Jaguar Kougar 4.2L. It resembles an old Bugatti or Alfa Romeo. Is this a genuine Jaguar or an old time kit car manufactured in England for racing?

You can e-mail me privately if you prefer at rjbatBuchananBeckering.com.

Thanks.

Rob

Submitted by mfrank@westnet.com on Tue, 08/17/2004 - 20:48

Kougar operated as an independent company in the UK for many years. They aren't exactly kit cars, since they are made of hand formed aluminum panels. It would be more accurate to describe them as an independent make that uses mostly Jaguar components. The patterns are now owned by Dunfords, who continue to build them. These days, they generally use XJ drivetrains, although there are many variations. Dunfords also makes an updated version of the Kougar, called a Monza, which resembles a D-Type. You can find info on the company here:

http://hugop.users.btopenworld.com/kougars/

There are something like 400 of these out there, and there is a Kougar owner's club in the UK (Contact Barry Surtees on 44 1273 553774.) You might also try contacting the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club for more info.

Submitted by LBR700527@netz… on Tue, 08/17/2004 - 20:19

You know, I've been seeing these, or variations of, since I was little back in the early seventies, especially in the Hemmings Motor News book. To me, it appears to be a form of manufactured kit or replica car using the Jag engine and trans. I'm not too sure of the rear end but in keeping with the use of Jag drive train, I'd use the Jag IRS. Just my opinion. It doesn't appear too aerodynamic by today's standards but for classic car track meets, I guess it'll do. In summary, it is not a Jaguar factory made car.
Since you brought up the topic of kitcars, I am absolutely ga-ga over the replicas of the XJ13. If after the completion of my Mark X restoration, if I feel ambitious and still have a few thousands of dollars burning to be used, I might embark building my own version of the XJ13 but will use the 6.0 litre or a TWR race V-12 and shoe-horn it into the chassis. Alas, that is still but a dream. My options of the future is soooo open wide to choices!

Lenny B. Ramjattan, N4WZQ
LBR700527atnetzero.net
1966 Jaguar Mk X, 1D76577BW
Pembroke Pines, Florida