Hi, I need some help. I recently bought a very nice XK 150 FHC. The title for the car is for a 1958 car.
My problem is that when I looked up the VIN number (S834283) in one of my XK books it said that the car was built in June of 1957. Should the car be a 57 or is it a 58?
Thank for your time.
Dale

Submitted by NE08-63766 on Mon, 09/19/2005 - 22:52

Dale,
My 150fhc is #9 after yours, S-834292DN, & it also is registered as a -58 but since their fiscal year starts at the 1st of August & mine was built sometime in July it should be designated a -57 model. As Daniel said, it really doesn't make a difference. You should see what the 120 &140 guys go through trying to get an accurate date for their cars.

Regards, Otto M.

Submitted by dthompson@gbc.ca on Fri, 10/22/2004 - 10:19

You should disregard the title of your car, as it is subject to the vulgarities of your local DMV and as such has little historical significance or accuracy. My E-type, for example, was not "titled" until 13 months after it was built. XK enthusiasts would consider your car to be a 1957 model.

I would not rely on books either to establish build dates. Go to the LIBRARY section of this website and follow the procedures there to obtain a Heritage Certificate for your car. It will give you precise details on the original build date of your car, along with all the build records.

Daniel Thompson
XK Club representative
Jaguar Enthusiasts Club
Jaguar Owners Association - Montreal