I've recently become owner of a 1956 XK140MC. While not new to the car (its been in the family since the early 80s) I've recently found some interesting information on the car but am unsure as to how to go about finding any other items of interest. Thus, I turn to you fine people.

From what I've read, the car (or combination the car posseses) is quite rare being that it has the Type-C head and 4-speed transmission with overdrive. However, I recently went through some parts that were with the car, and discovered that when the engine was rebuilt, they seem to have installed the wrong pistons. The original pistons were of a raised deck design. The new pistons are of an almost flat-deck design. I've read (not certain on the validity) that some cars came off the line with special-equipment packages including high-compression pistons.

Is this valid, or is this a case where the MC engines all came with high-deck pistons bumping the compression, and they installed non-MC pistons?

If it's of help, the VIN # is 21294518502 JO

The car has a long way to come restoration-wise, but is a decent "driver" as is. I'd just like to know the history of the car, build-wise.

Thanks for any/all insight!

Josh

Submitted by dthompson@gbc.ca on Fri, 10/15/2004 - 10:06

Joshua,

First thing you need to do is obtain what is called a "Heritage Certificate" for your car. Essentially this is a factory build record unique to the car. It will tell you exactly how the car was delivered: colors, engine, options etc.

You can find information on how to send away for a Heritage Certificate in the "LIBRARY" section of this website. Basically, you need to provide the archive department with all of the numbers from your car's data plate.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Daniel Thompson
dthompsonatgbc.ca

Submitted by dsmdealer1@aol.com on Tue, 10/12/2004 - 12:55

Don't know if this helps or not, but just got the # off of the block as well (in a mirror, so I hope it's right). Was under the manifold on the block.

The # reads as follows:

FF
C8910

On the Firewall, the #s read: P4969

On the head: G7808-8S

Thanks again!

Josh