Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 01/22/2002 - 17:00

I just bought my first Jaguar. It is a 1956 markVII saloon. That is about all I know about it. It needs a restoration. The car is very complete and original. The interior is shot but all the wood is in mint conditon. Does anyone know anything about this car or where I can find stuff out. I'd hate to do a poor restoration if I can avoid it. Is it worth anything? I have found the production numbers at around 9000 for 1956. Does that make it rare?

Thanks

Steve Thomas

Submitted by njewitt@attbi.com on Fri, 12/13/2002 - 21:15

Jim:

Jim Fizgerald was Paul Newman's teammate at Nissan in TransAm. He was killed about 15 years ago while racing - a good frien and great memories.

Anyway, if you want to interface with the existing radio equipment, BlitzSafe (they have a website) is supposed to be coming out with an interface. It's long delayed, may be longer. I used an FM modulator, Alpine setup. Volume control is through the steering wheel controls, and CD on/off is selected through the dedicated FM frequency, also using wheel controls. The display unit, mounted close by, like in or on the ashtray, controls disc and track selection. That may be as good as it gets unless you can find an interface.

If you have any more questions, e-mail me direct at njewittatattbi.com

Good luck.

Nick

Submitted by biackbenz@aol.com on Fri, 12/13/2002 - 09:53

Nick,

Thanks for the help. I am hoping to put a changer in the trunk and interface with the existing radio. My next step is to talk to a shop that specializes in car stereo systems. Hopefully he can do this at a resonable cost.

I didn't know there was a reknown racer with my name! My skills at racing are zero. Had an oportunity to take me 560SL on the race track at Road America this summer. After two laps (4 1/2 miles each), I could no longer even see the four other cars! Fun though

Jim
1999 XJ8

Submitted by njewitt@attbi.com on Wed, 12/11/2002 - 22:10

Your name brings back memories of a great race driver - but that's for
> another time. Anyway, I have an X-type, wanted an in-cabin changer and
> wasn't willing to wait for someone to do a head-end adapter (they still
> haven't!). I bought an Alpine 6-disc, FM-modulated changer and a pair of
> METRA adapters, EU10 & EU20. Installed the changer vertically against the
> center of the rear seat (atop the tunnel), then mounted the display on the
> ashtray cover with Velcro. There's loads of room behind the radio for the
> FM mod unit, and it sounds good. I've not looked at any other model,
> including the XJ8, but how different can it be? The steering wheel
controls
> work fine for volume and selection of the changer through the dedicated FM
> station, but you can't control the changer itself - disc, track and so on.
> Still, for the convenience, it works well for me.
>
> Does this help?
>
> Good luck - - Nick

Nick

Submitted by biackbenz@aol.com on Mon, 12/09/2002 - 21:59

1999 XJ8

I read the discussion about putting in aftermarket CD changers from last June. I would like to install one in my XJ8.

I'v gone to places like Circuit City and Best Buy. I don't think I would trust my car to these guys. None of them had the necessary stuff to install it anyway.

Did you have any luck?

Jim