Trying to find out what a 1954 XK120 is worth. The numbers are Chasis 672123, Body F4102, Engine W4811-8, and gear box JL10434. It is partially restored. Wondering if it is worth more for parts or as a restorable car? Has a rust problem but appears to be complete.

Jim

Submitted by mcload@ev1.net on Tue, 10/21/2003 - 13:09

Jim: Unless you are VERY mechanically inclined and VERY patient, I would pass on this particular project car. You will be paying for someone else's nightmare. Judging from your initial questions, I assume you know very little about these cars. You'd be better off in paying for a complete (and sound) driver rather than taking on the years of work this 120 will require. Life's too short!

Patrick McLoad
1966 E-Type, Right-hand Drive Roadster
#1E1445, 2002 C5 National Champ

Submitted by SW03-09811 on Thu, 10/16/2003 - 16:13

Jim,
I would personally recommend against any plan to "part-it-out". Almost every part needed to restore an XK120 is already available
from an after market source or used parts supplier.

I agree with Dan Thompson's estimated price range but would even drop the low end by a couple of thousand dollars. $6-12 K
is in the ballpark.

Even if you do most of the work yourself, a body, interior, and paint restoration will still cost $30-40K depending on how much
has been done already. If you really want the car and will get a lot of satisfaction out of bringing it back to life, then buy it for the
lowest price possible and enjoy yourself.

There may be bargains available in restored cars but there are NO bargains for those (in boxes) needing complete restorations.

Good luck
Dick Cavicke

Submitted by dthompson@gbc.ca on Thu, 10/16/2003 - 13:57

Which part is "partially restored"?

If you look at resources like Hemmings Motor News or even Ebay auctions you will see that XK120 roadster restorations projects have a market value of somewhere in the region $8k-$15k. Hard to tell from one photo but yours looks like it falls in the lower end of things. XK120's are getting to be hard to find, even in rough condition. If your car is complete, not missing any of the ultra rare pieces, matching numbers and isn't a total loss on the rust side then it will find a buyer for the prices I mentioned.

Daniel
2002 X-type
1968 E-type
1958 MkIX
1952 XK120