I am considering purchasing a 54 from a private seller, it is a matching numbers car barn find. My question is this. I have looked at all stamping numbers on the car and plate and do not see any indication that it was an "SE" model except it has dual exhaust that is very original and untouched as is the car. I read somewhere that the dealers sometimes added this as a dealer option with an added 10 hp. How else can I determine the model? as the restored value obviously increases if it is an S model. Any help would be much appreciated.

Rallymeister

Submitted by SE21-35014J on Fri, 05/17/2013 - 18:21

Dick,
My previous comments were primarily directed as pertaining to my own car -an XK140 OTS -which according to the Jaguar-Daimler Heritage Trust- has a Build Date of Feb. 1955 (and sold in April 1955 - though initially and subsequently registered as a 1956 Model) -and listed as a "Jaguar 3.4L XK140 Special Equipment Model - Less "C-type" head". The VIN # is A810938DN -and came with Dual-exhaust; Knock-off whire wheels; Factory-installed driving lights.
I have noticed that Auction-house prices differentiate between the "Standerd" Model, the SE Model; and what they designate (thru common usage) as the MC Model (ie the SE Model with "C-type" head) - with value prices varying accordingly.
If I am wrong in extending this information to the 120 - I stand corrected, and am sorry about that.

Submitted by SW03-09811 on Fri, 05/17/2013 - 14:35

Jerry,
Jaguar Service Bulletin No. 109 of September 1952, "Various Servicing Items", "SPECIAL EQUIPMENT MODEL XK120 MODELS" , states in its introduction,
"As will be known to some Distributors and Dealers "Special Equipment " XK 120 models are now being produced. These models are identified by the letter "S" as a prefix to the chassis number and the letter"S" as a suffix to the engine number."

The bulletin goes on to list 18 specific items incorporated into the Special Equipment models. Included are: High Lift Camshafts, Lightened Flywheel, Special Crankshaft Damper, Dual Exhaust, Wire Wheels, (including hubs, knock-offs and brake drums), Stiffer Torsion Bars and Rear Springs and Racing Windscreens and Cowlings.

Windshield Washers were NOT specifically associated with Special Equipment models but became a standard accessory on Chassis Number 661037 and subs, and 673009 and subs.

Similarly, Fog Lamps were listed as "Special Order Only" in the120 Parts Book "List of Extras", for all models.

Regards,
Dick

Submitted by SE21-35014J on Tue, 05/14/2013 - 13:12

Brian, The SE designation indicates a Special Equipment Model (ie.- Dual exhaust, windshield washers, Fog/Driving lights, and a few other items. The SE designation does NOT specifically indicate that the car came with a "C-type" engine. This was indicated with a MC designation. In other-words - you could buy an "SE Model - "Less 'C-type' head" OR an "SE" Model -WITH a 'C-type' Head - which is generally designated as an "MC - Model". The VIN/Chassis # will tell you which Model you have -(as it left the Factory). If the VIN # startts with the letter "S" - the car is an SE -WITH a factory-installed "C-type" head (ie- an "MC-Model"); if the car has dual-exhaust, Windshield washers, & factory-installed Fog lamps, BUT WITHOUT the "S" VIN # - the car may certainly an "SE-Model" -BUT did NOT start out with an original "C-type" engine. This does NOT mean that someone may have installed or up-graded the Engine to the more-powerful C-type head - BUT that would be "after-market" & non-original.

Submitted by howardbollinge… on Mon, 05/13/2013 - 10:04

Brian, Contact me on my email- howardbollingerataol.com, or call 910 391 5174. If you want ,I can give you some of my experience with my 54 120SE. regards, Howard B.

Submitted by brianscott96@g… on Sun, 05/12/2013 - 22:27

I dont think it appropriate to give the #s as I have not purchased the car yet, I have seen the plate and it ends in -8. Thats why I started researching about this and found some articles that talked about sometimes dealer would change the head out with the c type, and would stamp head with a c, would add dual exhaust from dealer. If the S doesnt show up on the engine # how else would you know without pulling the head. I am more than likely going to buy the car it is a fair price and is complete with very little rust.

rallymeister

Submitted by howardbollinge… on Sun, 05/12/2013 - 15:23

Brian, See if engine number is preceded by an "s". If it is and you're sure it's the original engine it's an SE model and dual exhaust would be appropriate. I had JCNA national champion 1954 XK120SE roadster in class C02, 2000 and 2001.