Edited on 2006-09-26 9:22:49

Edited on 2006-09-26 9:20:44

The new rules state that the 1994 xjs 4.0L must have 15" wheels and tires yet the parts book show that my vin number is clearly in the 16" wheel range. why should I be knocked for the 16" wheels and tires?
I wouldn't run a pirelli tire on a car again unless I only pushed it in and out of a trailer. so i replaced mine with yokohama tires that are as close to the original diameter as possible. If you can tell me why the judges decided the original jaguar wheels for the 1994 year are considered Non Original and deducted at concours, I would be greatful. I am considering not showing the car any more if I must replace the tires and wheels with what I consider inferior products.

Daniel Cusick
1994 XJS 4.0L "The Beauty"
1988 XJS 5.3L "The Beast"

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 11/10/2017 - 12:00

16 inch 5 spoke wheels were an option with the Sports Handling Option when new.

Submitted by dougdwyer@adel… on Thu, 09/28/2006 - 15:50

heh heh

Since there's no prize money involved I reckon we all do it for fun, Daniel :-).

Let's face it....you pay money to have somebody look at your car and tell you what is wrong with it. That's what it boils down to.

Doug Dwyer
Longview Washington USA
1995 XJR
1988 XJS

Submitted by dcusick@insigh… on Thu, 09/28/2006 - 15:40

only one problem with that, I do this to have fun!
this time it wasn't. Jim knows the car and we are always close in the numbers but he won't have to worry about that anymore.

Daniel Cusick

Submitted by dougdwyer@adel… on Thu, 09/28/2006 - 02:20

One more thing: the fact that you've never been "called on it before" but were docked this time really points to one thing in my mind....you received higher quality judging from someone who knows the rules. :-)

Doug Dwyer
Longview Washington USA
1995 XJR
1988 XJS

Submitted by dougdwyer@adel… on Thu, 09/28/2006 - 02:15

You haven't been screwed by the system, Daniel. It's all in the rule book, and clearly. Authenticity is one of the main facets of concours competition and sometimes you have to do some homework before making changes.

If you want updates and changes perhaps the modified class might work for you ? What was your deduction for the wrong wheels, 20 points? Modified class requires 35 "non-authentic" points as I recall. You could add a few more changes, qualify for modified, and likely enjoy more success in what is usually a much smaller class. Heh heh heh. Sounds like a plan to me ! So, forget the sour grapes....just go for it !

Or, consider this: For several seasons, when I was showing my Ser III XJ6, I ran non-correct road wheels and incorrect steering wheel 95% of the time and then simply swapped them over with the correct stuff for the shows. Only takes an hour.....and I had the best of both worlds.

I think you may have misunderstood the parts catalogs and owners manuals. Everything that is shown was not necessarily an "option" across the entire model range. The owners manual for my '95 XJR shows a rear sunshade that was never installed on USA cars. I'd rightfully loose authenticity points if I installed one.

As an aside, being authentic is not the same as being a trailer queen....two different things entirely. My XJ6 (while I owned it) was a true daily driver consistantly in the 99.30-99.70 range in championship class....with 147K miles.

Hey, look at it this way: you could be in a Corvette concours where the look inside the radiator cap to see if it has the right date code, or check the ball joints for the right color of grease ooozing out. The JCNA rules look pretty forgiving in comparison.

Cheers

Doug Dwyer
Longview Washington USA
1995 XJR
1988 XJS

Submitted by dcusick@insigh… on Thu, 09/28/2006 - 01:28

Good answer.
But I guess that if we update a driver we are screwed by the system.
if I wanted a trailer queen i'd bought one. so if i like the looks of the wheels on the car now I have to sell the 94 and buy a 95 or 96 to show at concours, or just spend $10 and display it and drink beer and critize the others. I'm just bitter because I haven't been called on it before.
So I guess it's no more little Pewter goblets and dishes for me, to bad because it was so much fun. I guess when I looked in the owners handbook and the parts book and saw that they had 16 wheels as an option that it was ok to upgrade to them for better tire selection. Icould have saved myself nearly $1500 in wheels and refinishing costs. Now I guess It's buy the 15's and some 235/60/zr15 if they are still out there. and hope that someone out with some spare cash needs 16 inch 5 spokes.

Daniel Cusick

Submitted by dougdwyer@adel… on Tue, 09/26/2006 - 21:34

The whole parts book thing can be misleading. For instance, my X300 parts catalog lists a variety of wheels for the X300 cars....but only ONE of them is correct for my XJR.

This sort of thing comes up every so often. Do we want to show and judge the car on the basis how is really WAS built, or how it MIGHT have been built if the owner could pick and choose from all the parts listed in the catalog....including combinations that Jaguar never used ?

I think we know the answer.....

Doug Dwyer
Longview Washington USA
1995 XJR
1988 XJS

Submitted by dougdwyer@adel… on Tue, 09/26/2006 - 16:06

The whole parts book thing can be misleading. For instance, my X300 parts catalog lists a variety of wheels for the X300 cars....but only ONE of them is correct for my XJR.

This sort of thing comes up every so often. Do we want to show and judge the car on the basis how is really WAS built, or how it MIGHT have been built if the owner could pick and choose from all the parts listed in the catalog....including combinations that Jaguar never used ?

I think we know the answer.....

Doug Dwyer
Longview Washington USA
1995 XJR
1988 XJS

Submitted by pascal@jcna.com on Tue, 09/26/2006 - 09:49

just have the owners manual or part book available in case the judge questions the authenticity. You may want to contact Dick Cavicke, chair of the JCRC, and forward him a copy of the material so that they can update the appendix.

Pascal
72 E-type 2+2 on P zero... wouldnt drive it on anything but Pirellis :-)

Submitted by dougdwyer@adel… on Tue, 09/26/2006 - 09:34

Good thinking. Also don't forget the tire size placard in the car. On my (older) Jags it is/was under the vanity mirror in the glovebox door. Saved my bacon at one show where there was a tire size dispute :-)

Doug Dwyer
Longview Washington USA
1995 XJR
1988 XJS