I'm not an electrical engineer or an electrician, which is why I need help. Is there a way to power a modern 12V device (cell phone charger, GPS unit, etc) in the *positive* ground XK-120? Has anyone devised a clever way to do this?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to install a modern 12V receptacle in the dash and just slide the factory original cigar lighter (non-functioning) into it for looks - but I wouldn't know how to wire it so the modern device would work (if that's even possible....).

Any help and/or suggestions??

Thank you.

Submitted by SE12-52152J on Mon, 08/26/2013 - 12:53

I successfully switched the polarity of a 1 (male) to 2 (female) adapter and was able to drive the car with my GPS up and working. Overall, happy with the results. With the 1-2 adapter, I could potentially have my cell phone connected as well. Can't imagine much else I'd ever plug into this car.

Thanks.

Submitted by MikeEck@optonl… on Wed, 08/07/2013 - 18:36

What has been done was to wire a reversing adapter with a male cigar lighter plug on one end of a wire and a female on the other with the two wires switched in the middle. That way the female jack is wired for negative ground and you can safely plug your accessories into it.